EYE HEALTH EDUCATION
for Athletes and Sports Enthusiasts
When was the last time you saw an active professional athlete wearing glasses? Even if you do not play professional sports, you know how much easier it is to enjoy your favorite activities in contact lenses. In addition to convenience, contact lenses offer better peripheral vision than glasses, which may slip off or get bumped during play. If you play sports that require protective eye wear, it’s more convenient to wear them over contact lenses. It is also important to practice eyelid and eyelash hygiene, especially after exercise or sweating.
As an active contact lens wearer, you need a contact lens solution that works as hard as you do, because you don’t need to worry about your lenses when you are tackling that black-diamond ski slope for your last run. That's why you will find ACUVUE™ RevitaLens Multi Purpose Disinfecting Solution, formerly Blink RevitaLens® Multi-Purpose Disinfecting Solution (MPDS), a big help to you. Its formula delivers brilliantly clean and clear contact lenses, conditions your lenses to maintain surface moisture, provides clear vision and provides end-of-day comfort. The result is a lens that’s cleaner and more comfortable to wear whether on the court, the track or anywhere in between. A Clean Contact Lens Is a Comfortable Contact Lens!
Here are some recommended tips to ensure your eye health and comfort during your favorite activity.
USE THE RIGHT CONTACT LENS
- Make sure to tell your eye care professional about your sport or activity during regular check-ups. It’s important for the eye care professional to know your complete routine so he/she can prescribe the right lenses for you.
PREVENT CONTACT LENS IRRITATION
- During strenuous activity, sweat may drip into your eyes, as well as dirt, oil and make-up. Rubbing your eyes with your fingers could cause additional irritation or trauma. Instead, gently blot sweat away with a towel or wear a headband.
- While enjoying your favorite activity, use a lubricating and rewetting eye drop to help keep your contact lenses moisturized and more comfortable such as Blink Contacts® Lubricant Eye Drops.
WASH HANDS, EYELIDS & CONTACT LENSES
- Always wash your hands before handling your lenses. Rub, rinse and disinfect your lenses each time you remove them and always handle the same lens, the right or the left, first in order to avoid mix-ups.
- Do not expose your lenses or lens case to tap water, bottled water, distilled water, lake water or ocean water. For emergency situations, keep a travel-size bottle of ACUVUE™ RevitaLens Multi-Purpose Disinfecting Solution (MPDS), formerly Blink RevitaLens® Multi-Purpose Disinfecting Solution (MPDS), on hand or at the office. Do not use saliva or put lenses in your mouth to rewet; make sure to have lubricating drops on hand.
REMOVE & REPLACE CONTACT LENSES
- Always remove your contact lenses before swimming, showering or entering a hot tub, as the water can contain contaminants.
- Rinse your lens case after each use and allow to air-dry. You should replace your contact lens case every one to three months to ensure that your contact lenses stay clean.
PROTECT EYES FROM SUN DAMAGE
- If you enjoy outdoor activities, wear sunglasses that protect your eyes from both UVA and UVB rays.
For further information about eye health, visit www.aoa.org , the official Web site of the American Optometric Association.